What is job scheduling?
Job scheduling, also known as enterprise job scheduling or batch scheduling, can be defined as the process where tasks are performed at a set time or on the right occasion. Job scheduling is used to reduce manual labor and human errors and save time and resources. Job scheduling contributes to overall efficiency, improves customer service and reduces unplanned downtime. Job scheduling is determined by job timing; priority; dependency on another event or data or file existence; frequency of occurrence or a license key.
A job scheduling software makes your systems interact with each other and orchestrate complex workflows across multiple applications. Scheduling tools reduce the need for manual start of a job and reduce delays.
Some of the job scheduling tools are specific time scheduling which schedules jobs to be run on specific days of the week or month; recurrences which help schedule jobs to run multiple times a day; retries where a job is scheduled to run at retry and event-triggered where tasks are scheduled to run once another event is done. A job scheduler is one of the enterprise job solutions that can be integrated with other software to notify or execute a predetermined task.
Though job scheduling and workload automation are used interchangeably, workload automation is a step up from job scheduling. Workload automation has a bigger range of capabilities and more flexibility. Workload automation is able to coordinate processes on different servers and operating systems, thus eliminating the key limitations of job scheduling which can work only on a single system. The biggest benefit of opting for workload automation is the ability for centralized management and a holistic approach which enables end to end automation across an entire system.
Essential Features of Enterprise Scheduling Software
Any large or Small Business uses a job scheduling software to schedule multiple, temporary and recurrent jobs. The scheduling software is used to control the flow of workload, streamline the management and monitor the workload. When a business opts for scheduling software, here are some essential features to keep a lookout for-
- Easy to change- Job scheduling is a changing process and scheduling software must offer options for making changes easily. Drag and drop is the most convenient option and job scheduling software must have this option for making changes.
- Easy to integrate- A scheduling software is not limited to just creating job schedules and can perform many more functions. Hence a good job scheduling software should also be easy to integrate as not all jobs can be done by the scheduling software alone.
- Easy access- A scheduling software should be accessible anytime and anywhere. As an employee it is convenient to access the job schedules from their mobile apps. Even for employers, it is easier to be able to schedule or make changes without being restricted to a location.
- Visual scheduling- Any software which provides solutions in big data chunks is not user-friendly. Hence a job scheduling software must be in a visual format that is easy to use for the end-user.
- Deadline- A job scheduling software's end goal is to client expectations and better it. An ideal scheduling software should controls all of your delivery time and works.
Finding the right employee is difficult. Keeping them engaged is even more difficult.
Zipschedules suggests that with job scheduling software, you can post schedules, send out notifications, and track hours in one place. Plus, it’s affordable - it costs just a few dollars per month for all the benefits!
Why You Should Use Job Scheduling Software?
The main job of a job scheduling software or project management software is to schedule specific tasks for every person working in the business. There are many reasons why a business needs scheduling software but let us look at the main reasons a business needs to use scheduling software-
- Easy job tracking- Manually tracking all tasks performed is cumbersome. A job scheduling software automates the tracking of jobs and makes it easier for managers and colleagues to see how much of a job has been done.
- Saves resources- A job scheduling solution automates the tasks such as assigning jobs, checking employee performance and gathering staff feedback. This saves time and resources of a business which can be reallocated for better use.
- Increases productivity- A scheduling software allows you to assign and monitor tasks with a click of a button. Once the task is completed without unnecessary delay, the overall productivity also increases.
- Ensures transparency- The job scheduling software can track the job assigned to any employee and also how much time is spent on each task. Hence there is complete transparency in the job scheduling process.
- Let us now look at how the business can streamline its business processes by opting for job scheduling in the work place.
It Helps Manage Employee Schedules
A job scheduling software can help a business manage its employee scheduling. Let us take a look at how a scheduling software can help manage employee schedules-
- Evaluate staff availability- Before creating an employee schedule for a particular time period it is important to evaluate which employees can be scheduled for which shift. A scheduling software has scheduling tools through which an employee can put forth a request for a particular shift. A manager can also easily check who is not working or has time off for a particular schedule.
- Follow local law- Most scheduling software has scheduling tools that notify a manager about local employment laws like minimum and maximum hours that an employee can work, overtime and breaks among others. Using the tools, a manager can create a schedule that is compliant with the law.
- Publish schedule early- Most laws also require that employees have to be notified at least 14 days in advance about the schedule. A scheduling software app is an effective way to keep this information up to date and accessible.
- Communication- A scheduling software not only allows early job scheduling; it also allows easy communication with staff. If any employee is unable to take a shift, they can directly message the manager and alternate arrangements can be made. There are also scheduling tools which allow for shift swaps and manager can approve them with a click of a button.
- Easy changes- As discussed, a job scheduling software can easily allow for changes while creating employee schedules. The scheduling software allows employees to swap shifts and also allows managers to see a list of people who can work an extra shift on a particular day.
It Helps Manage Employee Behavior
After looking at how a job scheduling software can manage employee schedules, let us now take a look at how a scheduling software helps manage employee behavior-
- Prioritize scheduling- A successful job scheduling strategy can help improve employees' productivity. A scheduling software reduces uncertainty from a project as there are clear guidelines on Scheduling Time limit and goals for a project. This enables the workers to finish their tasks faster as there is a time target for completion. Job scheduling is crucial for avoiding employee burnout and demotivation due to missed deadlines.
- Improved communication- According to a study by leading digital publication, 97% employees feel better communication can improve quality of day to day tasks. If there is proper communication about the job and expectations from the employees then it is easier for the employees to feel motivated about completing the job. A scheduling software has tools for communication which can help in efficient communication.
- Nurturing relationship- Data has shown that around 70% of the managers are not comfortable communicating with employees. Using a scheduling software, a manager can issue clear guidelines and provide data driven real time feedback which motivates employees to perform better.
- Positive work environment- When there is effective communication and clear rules and deadlines for projects, it creates a transparent and positive work environment. Employees feel rewarded and productivity increases.
Managing your team is hard. There are so many things to keep track of, and the more employees you have, the harder it can get.
Zipschedules says job scheduling software is the perfect solution for any business owner looking to manage their employees. It will help you do everything from planning and assigning tasks, to organizing your entire workforce.
It Helps Manage Employee Time
A job scheduling software not only helps with workload automation and streamlining the daily workflow, it also helps a business manage the employees' time effectively. Here are some ways a scheduling software can help manage employee time-
- Everybody on same page- A scheduling software helps you keep a handle on resource allocation and gives you visibility of all the resources at one place. Hence even the employees have the access to the system and can log in to check their schedule, make changes and inform the authorities and keep them on the same page.
- Time planning- A job scheduling software helps allocate resources as per requirements and priorities. Once the employees get a schedule for their work time, they can adjust and changes their personal plans to meet work commitments.
- Reduce conflicts- A job scheduling software can make an employee schedule before time and this gives employee the chance to swap or change their schedule. This reduces scheduling conflicts and increases employee satisfaction.
- Self-service- A scheduling software allows employees to access the system via the mobile apps which allows the ease of viewing schedule anytime anywhere. This allows seamless communication and saves time in having face to face discussions about changes. unscheduled absences.
It Helps Manage Employee Motivation
Happy employees are productive employees; hence, it is important to keep employees motivated. Here is how a scheduling software can help manage employee motivation-
- SMART goals- Employees should have Specific.Measurable.Achievable.Relevant.Timely (SMART) goals which are based on past achievements and objectives. A scheduling software helps a business set SMART goals for the employees as it can track the past tasks and goals and use them as a roadmap for setting future goals. If employees have achievable goals, they are motivated to work more efficiently and be more productive.
- Prompt feedback- Timely feedback helps employees understand what they did wrong and also receive recognition for their good work. A scheduling software lets a manager track the progress of the job while it is being completed. A manager can step in and course correct, which will help employee complete a job faster and not repeat the mistake.
- Employee recognition- As per statistics, 80% of the employees work better when they feel appreciated. Employees want to be acknowledged for good performance. A scheduling software provides real time data of the tasks performed by the employees which prove their capabilities. The scheduling software also scheduling tools for real time rewards and recognition modules.
Best Job Scheduling Software
After discussing the benefits of the scheduling software, let us now look at some of the best job scheduling software in the market. A job scheduler solution should be easy to use and have the features and benefits we have discussed above.
A job scheduling solution has different functions like employee scheduling. One of the better options for employee scheduling in the market is Zip Schedules.
Zipschedules is a cloud based employee scheduling app which can create employee schedules and share them on email, mobile push notifications, and through the hardware. The scheduling software has process automation tools like work schedule templates, reminders about labor laws and rules, multi-location support and service management tools like request for time offs and shift swaps and a 24x7 help center. It offers a free online mobile app. It also has scheduling tools to set a daily, weekly, or monthly labor budget and for communication so managers can notify staff about any updates. The job scheduling software can track employees' availability and share updates about any changes. Scheduling tools like reports can be used for trends so managers can address any issues that arise.
1. ActiveBatch Workload Automation
The ActiveBatch job scheduler is the brain behind workload automation architecture which allows you to build and orchestrate cross-functional workflows. The workload automation platform can handle job scheduling, dependency checking and reporting. The workload automation tool can help IT streamline business policies and carry out audit trails on all jobs and workflows. The workload automation platform can build and automate workflows without the need for scripting. The platform also helps implement policy-driven governance. It also has capabilities such as policy authorizations, auditing and advanced SLA management.
2. IBM Workload Automation
IBM Workload Automation is an automation platform for real time hybrid workload management. It can integrate IT, operational, and business workflows for executing unattended and event-driven processes. It streamlines your workload management through analytics.
The platform improves decision making process and reduces costs by centralizing management as it eliminates manual activities. The workload automation platform can monitor all enterprise processes from a single point of control which helps a business consolidate operations and integrate with monitoring tools. The tool also improves observability through modern monitoring solutions.
3. BMC Control-M
BMC Control-M is a platform for job scheduling and workload automation. It can integrate, automate, and orchestrate application workflows. It scheduling tools to manage batch services from any mobile apps. The job scheduling platform can help automate external and internal file transfers. The workload automation solution can be used to orchestrate big data workflows in multiple cloud based environments. The platform also ensures accuracy of database jobs. Control-M makes it easy to build, schedule, manage and monitor workflows. The workload automation platform also provides support for compliance, audits and governance.
VisualCron is a workload automation tool used for Windows. The platform provides job scheduling and allows you to automate tasks in each job to eliminate human errors. The workload automation platform can also help integrate different systems through file transfer, encryption, compression and transformation. The job scheduling software helps in scheduling jobs on numerous operating systems and apps. The platform helps minimize the number of errors with workload automation and also lowers maintenance costs. You can also update jobs quicker and make changes instantly. The workload automation platform helps raise the IT operations efficiency. This results in sizeable savings on operating costs as there is better staff productivity, better turnaround times, reduction in training and maintenance costs and real time control over job scheduling.
5. Tidal Workload Automation
Tidal is a workload automation and job scheduling platform which can be used for hybrid and multiple cloud based enterprise environments. It is easy to use, fast and scalable job scheduling platform which doesn't have any costly infrastructure adds-on. The platform provides seamless job scheduling without a need for custom scripting. You can design your jobs within a single interface. The workload automation platform can run a million jobs a day.
Managing your team is hard. There are a lot of things to think about, from how and when to communicate with them, to what tasks they should be working on.
Zipschedules says job scheduling software can help you manage your team more efficiently. You’ll have more time to focus on the most important tasks and won’t have to worry about forgetting anything.