What is data management ?
Data management is the process of collecting, structuring, and processing data so that it can be found, accessed, and used to answer questions and meet business needs. Data management is a core competency for any data-driven organization, and the ability to manage data efficiently is a key differentiator for companies in competitive fields. Data management skills are in high demand, and opportunities for advancement and growth often come from leading data-driven projects.
The Importance of Data Management in Your Marketing Strategy
What is the Importance of Data Management?
Data management, which can also be called the thread that connects all segments of an information lifecycle, can be called the first step to employing effective data analysis which can give important insights that provide value addition and improve a business' bottom line.
Here are some reasons why data management is an important part of any business-
Visibility- Data management helps your company increase the visibility of its data assets. This makes it easier to find the right data for analysis quickly and efficiently. Data visibility can make sure that a business is more organized and productive.
Reliability- A business can minimize potential errors by adopting data management to establish data management solutions and policies for any data that is used while making decisions. Efficient data management solutions help a business respond better to market changes and customer needs.
Security- Data management makes it possible to protect a business from data losses, thefts, and breaches by using encryption tools. A business having strong data security can make sure that important information, especially any personal information, is kept safe and accessible if the primary source becomes unavailable.
Scalability- A business can efficiently scale the use of data with the help of data management. A business can save a lot by adopting database management, especially the cost of duplication when there are certain processes that need to be repeated.
What are the Benefits of Data Management?
Properly structured and documented data management can help when a business has to reproduce analysis and results. Good management systems can help you easily find your data and increase its reuse potential. Opting for a good data management software can help simplify the process of data management. We will now discuss the benefits of implementing a data management system as part of your business-
1. Better accessibility- Having proper management systems in place can help ease access to data. Users can share data quickly and efficiently as management systems ensure quick management solutions to queries which enables better decision making.
2. Better integration- Data integration putting together all the organization data in one place to for a unified view and easier access of the information. A database management system gives a business an overview of how data in one silo will affect the rest.
3. Standardized data- Proper management systems and data quality management tools can help a business make sure that the organization gets access to a single, unified version of data. This reduces errors due to disjointed data which may be stored in different places.
4. Compliance- A business with a good data management platform will ensure better enforcement of data privacy and data security policies. Ensuring better data management system results in better transparency and reduces any risk of breaking rules.
5. Increased productivity- A good database management system will increase productivity as the management system ensures easier access to higher data quality which enables end users to make quick data driven decisions.
Online employee scheduling software that makes shift planning effortless.
Try it free for 14 days.
What are the Types of Data Management?
Data management ensures the most current data available by tracking trends in real-time and opting for a management software can streamline the process. Data management helps a business get the most out of its business intelligence by making essential functions easier. Here are some types of data administration that can help a business make a better decision efficiently and in a time-bound manner-
1. Master data management- The process of ensuring that an organization works with a single version of current and reliable data is called master data management. A business has to opt for the right data management tools to collate data from all thedata sources and present it as a constant, reliable source.
2. Data stewardship- A business has to implement practices that make sure that organization data is accessible, usable, and safe. The implementation of procedures and rules that govern the data is called data stewardship. A data steward ensures enterprise data collection and movement practices are implemented properly and rules are enforced.
3. Data quality management- Management of data quality is the process of going through all the data available to check for problems like duplicate data, and inconsistent information. Data quality management is ensuring using the right mix of processes and technologies to refine the quality of data being used by the business.
4. Data security- Any business has to make sure that its data is protected from authorized access and corruption. A good data management system ensures that organization data is secured through data encryption, backing up data to the cloud, password protection, and management practices that protect data across all platforms like guarding against accidental transfer or deletion of data.
5. Data governance- The process of defining processes, standards, and policies for maintaining data security is known as data governance. A framework for data governance outlines policies for the intake, flow, and protection of organization data.
6. Big data management- Big data is bulk data that has a huge volume and keep growing exponentially. Big data management is the technology to store, analyze and manage this bulk data. Big data management ensures a high level of data quality and accessibility for business intelligence and data analytics applications.
7. Data warehousing- Data warehouses are centralized locations to store consolidated data sources. Data warehouse management is a process to organize and provide an overview of the physical and cloud-based infrastructure used to collate raw data and analyze it to get business insights.
Data management techniques: Data management includes the following techniques-
Data preparation to clean and transform raw data into the right shape and format
Data pipelines allow automated data transfer
Data catalogues help manage metadata to create a complete picture
Data architecture is a formal approach to create and manage flow of data
What are Data Management Plans and Processes?
An organisation needs plans and process in place to make sure that the daily workflow runs smoothly. The same also applies for data management. The process of creating plans and process for handling, storing and managing the organization data is called data management strategy. If you want to put in place an effective data management strategy for your business, here are the five steps you need to follow-
1. Identify the objectives- To ensure your business has an efficient database management system in place, you have to first identify the objectives of collecting the data. Ask yourself what are the overall objectives of your business, what kind of data you need to fulfil the objectives, what kind of insights and information you need to progress? Focus on the most critical use cases and build your data management strategy.
2. Build data collection process- The data management system has four steps for data collection collect, prepare, store, analyse and use. When you start collecting the data ask the following questions what will be your data sources, will you need external and internal data sources, what kind of data you need- structured, unstructured or a combination, how will the data be collected data- will it be open source or will you have to pay for it. After collecting the data, you will need to clean and transform raw data to prepare it for analysis, identify incomplete or disparate data, prepare guideline for naming data, adding metadata. After preparing the data for use, you will first need to identify where you will store the data and what kind of database system you will use to store the data and what steps will you take to ensure data security. You also need to make sure that the right person gets access to the right data and figure put how you can make access to data and data analysis easier.
3. Get the right management software- As a business you need to identify the right management software or hardware to make sure you have an efficient and streamlined data management infrastructure. For instance, if you need to manage the schedules of your employees, then you can opt for a software like Zipschedules. The app will make it easier to manage the data on employee scheduling. Zipschedules Features include tools for communication, shift swapping and labor cost tracking.
4. Establish a process for data governance- It is important to implement a process for data privacy and data security. The process should be set using the following guidelines how will you make sure the data is accurate and current, what steps will you take to store the data securely like a third-party cloud data storage or opting for internal storage, do you have permissions for using the data and how can you ensure data transparency.
5. Data analytics- The last step to implement an efficient data management strategy is to use the data effectively. You need to provide knowledge and skills needed to analyze and understand the data. Make sure everyone understands the company's management strategy and how to execute their role.
What are the Goals of Data Management?
A study has predicted that by 2025, the market for data and data analytics will be valued at $135 billion. Investing in data management solutions early on will help a business organize and manage its data efficiently and it will not end up with an enormous amount of unmanageable data. We will now discuss the goals a business needs to set for itself-
1. Ensure data integrity- A business needs to implement smart data collection processes to make sure that the data being collated is consistent, accurate, and current. A business can also ensure data integrity by having access controls, penetration testing, and regular audits.
2. Data quality- In a study on data quality, over 50% of business leaders say they don't trust their data assets. In order to ensure data quality, a business must ensure data is accessible, consistent, and current. The thumb rule to follow for checking the data quality is to achieve data integrity which ensures consistent data andmake sure you can access it when needed and it is relevant to your operations.
3. Integrate databases- Having separate databases may lead to data duplication and inconsistencies. You need to bring all your data to one place to get an overview of the data you have and for easier access. There are many data management platforms available in the market which can be used to unify accessible and reliable data.
4. Ensuring compliance with the law- You have to follow all data management rules, especially if you are working with customer data, otherwise it can have serious legal consequences and loss of trust.
Tips for restaurant data management: Here are some tips you can use for restaurant data management-
Get a comprehensive restaurant management software which can collect relevant data and ensure data security
Track and collect customer data to know your customers better
Keep track of front-of-house data to pinpoint gaps in current data management strategy
Analyze how much you spend and how you use the inventory
Use data to implement better management strategy
Online employee scheduling software that makes shift planning effortless.
Try it free for 14 days.
Data Management Best Practices
In order to get the most use of your data you need to implement best practices for an effective data management strategy. To ensure that your business maintains its data quality, implement these management best practices-
1. State your business goals- As a business, setting goals will help in identifying how you will collect, store, manage and analyze data. Defining your business goals ensures that you will only keep and organise data which is relevant for your business processes and decision-making. It will also help to avoid overcrowding your data management software.
2. Focus on data quality- We have discussed the importance of data quality but carry out regular checks to ensure that data does not become outdated as this can have a negative impact on data analytics. The audits should also identify errors that can have an impact on the results. Implement proper training programs to make sure you can carry out the proper process for inputting data.
3. Right people for right data- Giving the right people access to the right data as and when they need it is part of an efficient data management system. Set up different access levels so that people can access data relevant to their tasks. There needs to be a balance between convenience and data security.
4. Ensure data security- Put in place measures to secure data from outsiders. Train your staff on handling data properly and make sure that your data security practices are compliant with the law. Have a plan to deal with any potential breach. Invest in a data management software to keep your data secure.
What are Data Management Challenges?
There are many challenges that can affect efficient data management. As a business you will need proper planning and technologies like machine learning which can help you get better business insights and customer experience. Here are some challenges that you might face while implementing a data management system.
1. Amount of data- Every department of your business will require separate data and you will have to prepare data for each use case and then maintain the database. A business can easily lose track of the data it has and where it has been stored. When storing data, it is better to opt for specialized services and apps.
2. Disparate data storage- In any organization, there are different departments and these departments may work on different data sets. A good data management system needs access to all this information to develop business intelligence. It is better to opt for real timedata management platform services which can help share clean information from a single source.
3. Data organization- A business may get unstructured data which can hinder effective data management. The data has to be organized and cleaned before it can be used to get business intelligence. It is better to opt for third-party partnerships to process and clean the data.
4. Managing the culture- An important step of an efficient data management system is to ensure that the people know how to access and use the data. Train your staff in data management practices to enable them to use the data correctly.
5. Data analytics- Businesses today rely on a data-driven decision-making process but if the data is too complicated to access and analyze, then the potential value of that data set is reduced. If it takes too much time or effort to convert the data, then analysis will be delayed.