A Comprehensive Guide on How to Choose an Employee Time Clock App
What is an Employee Time Clock App?
When any large or small business hires staff, their main responsibility to their employees is to pay them their exact wages on time. Earlier, the payroll would spend hours tracking and collating employee time spent at the workplace to pay them for the hours worked.
But now with the advent of automation, there are many time tracking solutions available in the market. A time clock app is an online time tracker which allows employees to clock in and out and help administrators with employee scheduling and exporting time cards, which also streamlines the payroll process.
An employee time clock app also has tools to keep track of multiple clock-ins and outs, has biometric technology for facial recognition or fingerprint scanning, and provides customized reports. A clock app also allows employees through a website or a mobile app and provides better employee time tracking, GPS location tracking, and project and task management.
Types of Employee Time Clock Apps
Tracking time spent by employees at the workplace using a time clock is easy. The employees just need to download the mobile app for the clock software and then clock in/out according to their shifts. The Employee Time clock allows a manager to oversee the employee hours worked and the tasks completed. Over a period of your time, you can track the productivity pattern and what your employees and small business needs.
If you, as a small business, are thinking of opting for time clock software, here are the types of time clock apps available in the market-
- Punch card time clock- This is the old and manual method used by employees to clock in or out. Employees insert a paper time card into a machine that stamps the date and time on the card while clocking in or out. If you are a small business and don't have employees working remotely or on the job site, then this option works for you.
- Digital time clock- This is just like a punch card time clock but the employees swipe a card with a magnetic strip through the machine, which tracks the punch in and out time. There is also an electronic touchpad time clock where an employee uses a PIN to clock in or out.
- Time station software- The workers clock in or out through a computer, either at a single location or when they switch on their workstation computers. The benefit of time station software is that time data can be integrated with a payroll software system, making it easier to conduct payroll later.
- Biometric time clocks- These types of time clocks use biometrics such as facial recognition or fingerprint or palm print or iris scanning to identify employees through their biometric data. Biometric time clock apps help reduce incidences of time theft and buddy punch as they use physical markers to identify employees. It is also easier for employees as they don't have to carry time cards or remember PINs to punch in or out.
- Mobile time clock- A mobile time-keeping system runs on a mobile device and can be integrated with tools for GPS tracking. Employees can just punch in or out on their mobile apps and employers can track employee location and approve time cards from anywhere.
Reasons to consider employee time clock apps: Here are a few reasons to consider opting for employee time clock apps for your small business-
Online employee scheduling software that makes shift planning effortless.
Try it free for 14 days.
Benefits of Employee Time Clock App
As a small business, it is necessary to track employee work hours to not only ensure that they are paid properly but also to keep track of the tasks they have completed and their productivity levels. Clock apps are a great way to keep track of time and attendance and project and task management. Here is a list of benefits accrued by opting for the time clock system-
- Saves time and money- An employee time clock app automates the process of collecting time attendance data and calculating payroll based on the employee's work hours. Hence the HR and payroll employees save time spent on collecting and verifying data and calculating pay. Since the calculation process is automated, there is less chance of error while calculating employee time spent at work. Data shows wrong calculations can cost any large or small business up to 7% of overall payroll costs.
- Minimizes fraud- As most time clock apps are equipped with biometric and GPS tracking functions, incidences of time theft and buddy punch are minimized. Employees can't clock in for their colleagues if a time clock uses biometrics and there is no possibility of time theft as the clock apps record the exact time of clock in and out and the data is saved. The business also saves money as they pay exactly what they owe for the employee time worked.
- Track labor costs- Any large or small business can see the exact number of employee hours worked and which areas of labor cost the most. Clock apps also keep track in real time of the productivity and who works overtime to complete work. A time clock helps a business make informed decisions about hiring workers or taking action against an employee who is less productive.
- Increases productivity- Time clocks also help a business improve efficiency as it streamlines daily workflow. It grants employers access to data on time and attendance which enables them to correct repeated tardiness or excessive absences and increase productivity. Time clock also helps employers track employees who are absent frequently and take action to minimize future absences.
- Improve company culture- When there is frequent tardiness and absenteeism, the general impression is a lax company culture and employees are not serious about work. Opting for a clock app helps address time and attendance issues and reduce absenteeism, which helps improve employee morale.
Best Employee Time Clock App for Small Businesses
We have seen that an employee time clock app can keep track of your employee hours and time and attendance. The time clock apps also provide features like time tracking or GPS tracking and project and task management. So, as a small business if you are still undecided about opting for a time clock software, here are some questions you can ask yourself to decide if you need a clock app for your business-
- What do you actually need from a time clock app- Do you need an app only for time and attendance or a clock software that allows for Employee Scheduling? Do you need a time clock that integrates with your project and task management?
- Do you want to clock time or track time? Time clocking is to track your employee hours and when their clock in and out and time tracking is to monitor how employee time is spent. What kind of time clock app do you want? If most of your workers work on job sites then you need a mobile time clock app that has GPS location tracking. If your team members work in the office, a swipe-in time clock system works better for you.
- How does this app integrate with your existing software? When choosing a time clock system, check if it can be integrated with your existing payroll system or if it has its own payroll capabilities.
- What kind of customization options are available? Check your team functions and job description to see if the app can be customized for your unique business needs.
- What's your budget? There are many free time clock solutions available online, which may fit your business needs. Most paid time clock solutions also offer free trials so opt for them to see if it is worth spending the money on an employee time clock app.
1. Time Clock Wizard
It is a free online time keeping system that also has features for employee scheduling, time tracking, project and task management, and payroll reporting. The clock app can create employee schedules with alternating workdays, pay scales, and reimbursements. It tracks employee hours worked and collects data on absences, late clock-ins, and more. It also issues mobile and email alerts to employees and managers which can be customized. It also tracks employee time to calculate payroll and generate reports. The time clock can be used as a mobile app to sign in or out wherever you are. The time clock also provides screen captures to make sure workers are paid for actual work hours.
Online employee scheduling software that makes shift planning effortless.
Try it free for 14 days.
2. Time Doctor
The employee time clock software provides actionable data on how to improve performance and increase productivity. The clock app helps keep track of employee time so that you can see tasks completed throughout the day. The time clock software provides reports on each project, task, and client. These reports make it easy to analyze patterns and help track time accurately, bill clients quickly, and pay employees. The time clock app has a customizable payroll and allows you to choose your preferred method of payment. The clock software simplifies project and task management reports so you can easily analyze them and improve your efficiency.
Feature of an employee time clock app: When choosing an employee time clock, keep in mind these key features-
3. Buddy Punch
The time clock software provides an intuitive and easy to use interface for employees to clock in or out. It allows the employer to track employee activity from one centralized dashboard. The dashboard can also be used to calculate paid time off, track individual projects, and communicate with your team members among others. The app helps employers track employee time with features like GP tracking, IP address locking, and geofencing. The time clock system also streamlines payroll with features like integration with time and attendance data, payroll export, tracking paid time off and any accruals, and project tracking. The app also helps with employee scheduling.
4. Open Time Clock
The employee time clock app is a web-based system that helps a large or small business manage time and attendance with time cards. The time clock app helps keep track of employee hours for the task or project they are working on. It also calculates the cost of each task and project and helps you compare your budget and cost. The time clock software also helps with shift and employee scheduling and track employees by job and be notified of any tardiness and absenteeism. You can also set auto accrual policies for any paid time off and the time clock will calculate the balance. The clock app has formats for reports and the app also allows for customization.
The employee time clock helps keep track of time and attendance and has features like a mobile app, and biometrics to track time and work hours. The time clock system provides reports and analytics for payroll. The app also has a time tracker to track employee time spent on projects and task codes and also helps with billings. The time clock also issues notifications about early or late punches, absenteeism, and reminders about shifts. The built-in geofencing and GPS tracking keep track of where your employees are. The app can also be integrated with other software for accurate time card calculations.
6. Easy Clocking
The employee time clock app for time and attendance provides tools that enable you to make real time decisions that result in organized data. The clock app makes it easy to collect employee attendance data and export payroll. It gives you real time insights that reduce the number of hours needed to process and calculate work hours including overtime, vacation, and sick days. The app also helps you stay compliant with labor laws with accurate pay calculations. The app also offers biometric solutions which eliminate time theft and buddy punch.