Essential Features to Look for in an Online Work Schedule Generator
Employee schedule makers are a great, cost-effective way for business managers to improve efficiency, productivity, and organization in the workplace. Here are the essential features to look for.
Employee schedule makers can be a great, cost-effective way for business managers to improve efficiency, productivity, and organization in the workplace.
Manually preparing schedules is not only time-consuming, but it also makes it very difficult to make last-minute adjustments when an employee's availability changes.
Scheduling software helps avoid these issues by streamlining the scheduling process, allowing managers to prepare and distribute schedules quickly so that they can focus on more important tasks.
However, not every employee schedule maker is the same. Every platform offers different features and capabilities, which can make it difficult to find the one that best meets your needs.
To help you find the right employee schedule maker for your business, let's take a look at the essential features you should look for in an online work schedule maker.
While a large number of businesses still use outdated manual methods when making schedules, these methods are inefficient and not conducive to employee productivity. Moreover, this can lead to increased labor costs as manual scheduling makes it difficult to keep track of and manage employee overtime.
Web-based scheduling software, on the other hand, offers a number of benefits that make it easy to track hours, create balanced schedules, and make adjustments as needed.
Benefits of online scheduling software include-
- Lower Turnover- High employee turnover is an issue that plagues a variety of industries. Scheduling software can reduce employee turnover by making it easier to accommodate your employees' needs.
- Manage Overtime- As it automatically tracks hours, scheduling software makes it easy to manage employee overtime, thus reducing labor costs.
- Save Time- Time is money. Employee schedule makers help managers save a significant amount of time that they can use to focus on more important aspects of their job.
- Cost-Effective- Not only is scheduling software incredibly helpful, but it's also a very cost-effective scheduling solution that can be seamlessly incorporated into any business. All things considered, no matter what industry your business is in, scheduling software can help you save time and money, boost productivity, and cut costs.
Essential Features to Look For
As we previously mentioned, not all employee schedule makers are created equally. As such, it's important to take the time to learn what features to look for before choosing a platform.
That being said, make sure to look for these essential features when searching for the right online schedule maker-
1. Automation- Modern employee schedule makers should be automated. Automation allows schedule makers to track hours in real-time and tell you who is available to work on any given day.
2. Shift Swapping- Many scheduling platforms allow employees to access the platform and handle shift swaps on their own. After the employee makes the swap, the schedule is immediately updated to reflect the changes.
3. Notifications- Notifications allow you to send alerts to multiple or all of your employees at once. You can create groups and send important updates to the schedule. Additionally, schedule makers can send automatic notifications when changes to the schedule are made.
4. Digital Time Clocks- Employee schedule makers can also offer virtual time clocks that make it easier for employees to clock in and out, and for this information to be exported to payroll.
5. Mobile Optimization- It may not be absolutely necessary (depending on your needs); however, the ability to access the scheduling software via a mobile device can be very useful when you need to make emergency updates to a schedule. This also allows employees to access the schedule at any time from a mobile device.
6. Assign Tasks- Schedule makers can also be used to assign specific projects or tasks to certain employees. In addition to showing the hours that they work, employees can also see what they should be doing during this time.
7. Permissions- Look for a schedule maker that allows you to set permissions for your employees. Meaning, they can complete certain tasks like a shift swap), but can't completely change the schedule.
8. Schedule Templates- While it's important to have advanced customization options, a basic template is all you need in some cases. Software that offers schedule templates can make scheduling that much faster and easier.
9. Integrate with Payroll- Your online schedule maker should be able to integrate with your payroll software, or at the very least, be able to export the schedule and import it to your payroll software. This reduces the time spent on manual data entry and ensures the data is accurate.
10. Support- Employee schedule makers should be intuitive and easy to use. However, even if this is the case, you may run into problems while using the software. As such, the software creator should offer easily-accessible support to help you successfully integrate the software with your business.
Of course, there may be other features that are necessary for you and your business; however, these 10 essential features should take care of most of your scheduling needs.
Creating employee schedules is a very important process; however, when creating schedules via manual methods, you may run into a number of challenges.
Employee schedule makers, on the other hand, can help business managers sidestep these challenges by automating the scheduling process making it easy to create fair and balanced schedules in a shorter amount of time.
By keeping the 10 essential features listed above in mind when shopping for scheduling software, you can find the employee schedule maker that suits your business' needs.
- Guide to Employee Scheduling
- Best Practices for Scheduling Retail Staff
- The 10 Best Free Scheduling Software Tools
- Best Practices for Creating a Fair Employee Work Schedule
- Features to Consider when Shopping for Employee Scheduling Software
- Common Employee Scheduling Mistakes That Hurt Your Business
- Features to Consider when Shopping Around for Employee Scheduling Soft
- Essential Features to Look for in an Online Work Schedule Generator
- How Major Brands are Improving Employee Scheduling with Mobile Apps
- How to Schedule Employees Effectively and Strategically
- How to Create a Basic Employee Scheduling Template