We all know that the more organized are, the more we ultimately end up getting done. This is extremely true in the workplace. If you have a messy and disorganized work space, chances are that you are going to be disorganized in your work as well. There are plenty of organization hacks that can get your work station better organized, and it only takes a few minutes. Here we will discuss a few of these things, as well as some DIY hacks that you can use to keep your work space tidy and organized.
- Get Rid of Paper – After a while, papers tend to pile up, and then you end up with a big pile of clutter that takes over the workspace. It is time to go through all of those papers, get rid of what you don’t need, and file what you do need appropriately.
- Color-Code Your Filing System – When organizing your filing system, it is a good idea to color-code it so you can find things easily. As an example, use green for financial papers, red for medical, orange for personal, etc.
- Use a Label Maker – Get yourself a label maker, and start labeling all of your files, boxes, drawers, etc. That way, you can easily find anything you need in just a few seconds. This is probably one of the best organization tips you will hear this week.
- Set Up a Mail Station – Create incoming and outgoing mail folders, as well as folders for mail to file, mail to look at later, etc. That way, you will have a better handle on all of your in-office mail, and it won’t get lost in the shuffle.
- Set Up a Printing Station – Set up a specific space in your office for your printer and printer supplies. If you are lucky enough to have a wireless printer, you can keep everything in a cabinet so it is out of the way and off your desk.
- Create Categories – Creating categories around your office space lets you place certain similar items together. For instance, you can have office supplies in one area, mail in another, files in another etc.
Now that you are organizing your workspace, it is time to find ways to store all of the things that you use in the office. You don’t have to go out and spend a lot of money on special storage containers. In fact, you probably have a lot of items in the office, and in your home, that you can use and that won’t cost you anything at all. Check out these cool storage ideas you can easily make yourself.
- Wire Mesh Baskets – Get a bunch of wire mesh baskets from your local dollar store, and place them in a desk drawer. Now you have spaces for pens, pushpins, paper clips, and more, and each item has its own space.
- Tin Can Pyramids – This is a cute idea that is easy to make. Simply peel the labels of some tin cans (make sure they are the same size), and paint the cans a color that will match your office décor. Lay the cans on their sides, and glue them together in a pyramid shape so the open ends are facing outwards. Now you have storage for pens, pencils, scissors, and other small office supplies.
- Bulletin Boards – Get small memos, business cards, etc. out of the way by pinning them to bulletin boards you make yourself. All you need is a bit of cork board and some old photo frames. Cut the cork board to fit the frames, and glue in place. Hang in your office as an attractive bulletin board.